Date:      Thu, 22 May 2003 16:57:28 -0400
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad a30p with 5.1-BETA2 problems

On Thursday 22 May 2003 16:48, you wrote:
> See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D46619 which deals with=
> Thinkpad T23.
>
> He has to set these in the boot loader for 5.0:
>
> hw.eisa_slots=3D0
> unset acpi_load
>
> Maybe the same settings will help with the A30p.

Nope. It's not just a hang in my case. I get the DB prompt. It says
it had a page fault.

I finally figured out how to read the boot text from a remote
computer using the serial port. I had to load conserver from the
ports collection.

However, when I load conserver and boot the install cdrom with:

boot -D

or

boot -Dh

The kernel doesn't crash. However, on installation, it crashed
again!

Serious problems here.

> Eric
>
> Jesse D. Guardiani wrote:
> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.1-BETA2 on my IBM Thinkpad A30p,
> > but I'm having the following problems:
> >
> > 1.) If I just insert the install CD and reboot, the kernel hangs
> >     right after it detects firewire on my system.
> >
> > 2.) If I stop the boot process by pressing a key at the kernel
> >     boot prompt, then enter:
> >
> >     boot -Dh
> >
> >     to boot from a serial console, the kernel boots fine. However,
> >     I've only gotten the serial console to output properly ONCE on
> >     a remote machine, and I think that was a fluke.
> >
> >     I'm using the following command to grab the serial console from
> >     the remote machine:
> >
> >     cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 9600
> >
> >     Again, this worked once, but when I rebooted it outputed garbage
> >     again. Is there a better program that I can use for serial consol=
> >     communications? I didn't find the handbook to be much help in thi=
> >     area. I'd prefer to not use a TTY since I don't plan to do this
> >     very often.
> >
> > Anybody have any tips or ideas?

--=20
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,
P.O. Box 2605 // Cleveland, TN 37320-2605
423-559-LINK (v)  423-559-5145 (f)
http://www.wingnet.net