Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 12:24:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd should replace OS/2

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Blaine Minazzi wrote:

> > However there are some Windows programs I also often need. I want to
> > install Wine in addition. However the docs does not clear say, if I should
> > install Windows first and than FreeBSD or just copy the windows
> > windows/system directory from the previous installation into the path.
> > (Maybe even samba?)
>
> Last time I checked, Wine was really not what I would call usable for
> running most winblows programs.  I ended up just taking an old 486/133
> sticking 48 megs of memory in it, and installing NT 4.0.   32 megs and
> 95 would also be a good choice.  The few windows programs I use run as
> reliably as windows can run.  (( Not saying a lot, but better than wine
> by far. ))
>

> > Finally what kind of programs do you recomend to install to be able to get
> > the most information in an easy way from my 12 servers to my desktop
> > machine?
>
> Assuming your servers are BSD, Use FreeBSD on your desktop, and have a
> second machine with Windows for those occasional windows programs.  You
> could even add a Keyboard/Monitor/Mouse switch if you do not want two of
> everything.

...Or dual boot Win95/FreeBSD. Works great lasts a long time. If low on
disk add a second, the OSBS beta that comes on the FBSD 2.2.1 CD will
boot from different drives. Haven't checked later CDs (still beta?)
I dedicate a disk to FBSD and Win95. Switch 'em to install both on
Drive 0, then setup OSBS to look for boot sectors on each drive.
Way easier than messing with boot easy. Hey hard drives are cheap.
My $0.02

--jeff