Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 15:49:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      "David E. O'Brien" <obrien>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ache@nagual.ru, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Niklas Hallqvist: archivers/hpack.non-usa.only

> In message <Pine.SOL.3.91.970108093549.1846B-100000@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co> Pedro Giffuni writes:
> : I was thinking on replacing (on all our port tree)
> : #ifdef __FreeBSD__
> : for:
> : #if (defined(BSD) && (BSD >= 199306)) /*BSD 4.4*/
>
> Also, you need to arrange for the sys/param.h file to be included.
> However, doing so will break portibility to systems that do no have
> this file.  Windows NT is one that leaps to mind (at least as of the

This whole symbol thing is *really* getting out of hand!!!

I'm here at USENIX and I'm going to try to push this thru, inless some
one really conviences me elsewise.

I have virtually always tried to follow the Handbook and use the BSD macro.
But way too often it is too hard to bring in sys/param.h.  And having to
include sys/param.h just to find out what OS I'm running is quite B.S.
No other system I know of is quite this way.  On Suns people have always
looked at the sun macro.  We really need a macro that says we are 4.4BSD.
This is a macro FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and BSDI need to have in the
*preprocessor* -- no more extranious files.

So, my proprosal is for each of us to add __44bsd__ to our list of
predefined macros.  If this is not liked, then hell, lets add BSD with the
right contstant to our cpp.

Not only will this help the FreeBSD ports team, but application software
developers too.  Often I find from others (ie. some package on the net),
with __FreeBSD__ or __NetBSD__ because they don't know of our silly method
of including sys/param.h and looking at BSD.

If we can do this, I'll even take on the task of changing all the patches
in our ports collection.

-- David	(obrien@FreeBSD.org)