Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:00:49 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael C.Wu <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Mobile phone coverage (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys

On 22-Jan-01 Brad Knowles wrote:
<snip roaming>

>>  It works in Australia.  But SMS is a toy.
>
>       Like it or not, in Europe SMS is effectively the only way to be
> able to send pages to people, so if you're a sysadmin, your
> alternatives are pretty much zilch.  Unfortunately, alpha-numeric
> pagers simply never caught on over here.

In the UK kids use SMS as it is much cheaper than the cost of a voice call.
Most kids have them on pre-paid at silly costs - close to $1/minute. SMS
is closer to $0.15/message.

<use model snipped>

>       As a consumer of portable digital networking/telephony products
> (and not an engineer helping to design them), it's hard to tell what
> implementation differences are caused by the underlying technology,
> and what is caused by sheer asinine management stupidity.
>
>       However, since the labels for these different
> solutions/products/technologies that I have available to me are
> relatively limited, I will use what I am aware of.
>
>>>  Fortunately, I won't have to wait too long before everything over
>>>  here will be CDMA,
>>
>>  You must know something that I don't.  I asked you before for details.
>
>       3G.  It'll be a few years, but all of Europe is in the process of
> auctioning off 3G licenses, and this will supplant GSM.

Actually, 3G will coexist with GSM. All the main European carriers have
stated that they will only roll out 3G in urban areas.

<capitalism snipped>

Duncan

---