Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:33:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Bob Webb <bob.webb@snyder.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIST Time Utility

> Does FreeBSD have a utility written for setting the internal clock to
> NIST time using TCP/UDP over the Internet ?
>
> I did a search and came up empty. Any input would be appreciated.

I suspect that what you are looking for is NTP - the Network Time
Protocol.  FreeBSD supports both xntpd for continuous synchronization
and ntpdate for one-time sync.  For more information about NTP,
see http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp

If you have the hostname and/or IP address of an open NTP server,
you can set the time by running 'ntpdate <hostname>' as root.  (An
open server is one that accepts connections from any host instead
of a limited set.)

If you want to keep the clock in sync automatically, you can either
run ntpdate automatically in cron, or enable xntpd.  Enabling xntpd
is a little more work, since you must find a nearby open NTP server,
or a closed server that will accept you as a new lower-stratum
connection, and properly configure the /etc/ntpd.conf file.  For a
list of stratum 1 & 2 servers see:
	http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html

In either case, you should un-comment the appropriate lines in
/etc/rc.conf.  (Look for 'ntp'.)  If you enable ntpdate in rc.conf,
it will sync the date when the system boots.  If you enable xntpd,
it will keep it in sync.  NOTE that you probably do -not- want
to enable timed if you are using ntpd.

-Pat