Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 12:10:14 GMT
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/171250: ldd32 cannot find some i386 libraries

The following reply was made to PR amd64/171250; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 14:01:43 +0200

 --nextPart4535589.M6IlXmkH34

 On Sunday, 2 September 2012 17:57:55 Konstantin Belousov wrote:
 > On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 12:42:43PM +0000, David Naylor wrote:
 > > ldd32 does not find libraries, yet ldconfig lists them as known.
 > >=20
 > > # ldconfig -32 -r | grep directories
 > >=20
 > >         search directories:
 > >         /usr/lib32:/usr/local/lib32:/usr/local/lib32/wine
 >=20
 > You should also look at the DT_RPATH and DT_RUNPATH tags in your binary.
 > I suspect that there is some path hardcoded which points to the
 > native 64bit libraries dir.

 # elfdump -d libcups.so.2
 <snip/>
 entry: 9
         d_tag: DT_RPATH
         d_val: /usr/lib:/usr/local/lib
 <snip/>
 # elfdump -a libcups.so.2 | grep DT_RUNPATH
 =2E..

 As you suspected the paths are hardcoded.  However, since this is a 32bit=20
 library (and compiled in a i386 chroot) on a 64bit system I would have=20
 expected the dynamic linker to translate /usr/lib to /usr/lib32, or to prep=
 end=20
 it. =20

 > If my theory holds, ths explicit use of LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH helps because
 > the env var path has precedence over the path from tag.

 If my expectation, mentioned above, is wrong then please close this bug.  I=
 'm=20
 happy to continue using LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH to enduce the correct behaviour.=
  =20

 Thanks for your quick reply.