Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:39:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@aol.com>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache w/FrontPage Module Port

I suggest we take this to private email.

> Those directories should NEVER EVER EVER (unless you are an uber-guru and
> know what you are doing and what the risks are and how to avoid them) be

Tend to differ. On one of our secondary apache servers we have it set up
this way because the web server runs on the professor's UID, and most of
the apache directories to mode 700 so that noone else can log into the
machine and look around them directly (they are used for  courses and we
wanted to control how information in these directories is presented -
only in a controled way through apache, and never directly under Unix). He
also needed the flexibility of being able to kill and restart the web
server (without root password). There is no other way to accomplish this
if you run the web server under the default uid of nobody, and root.wheel
file permissions.

I am in favor of Scott's proposed way of doing this because it allows for
special circumstances such as the one above.

> owned by the user Apache runs as. Neither should the Apache binary.

Good point, but you eliminate much of the security risk by prohibiting any
and all cgi (perhaps this should be the default Scott?).  Perhaps, also
the installer should be warned about making the configuration directories
owned by the same user as runs the server?

I tend to differ however about the ownership of the binary (as long as you
don't set the setuid/setgid bits). The only thing that ownership and mode
will affect is who can run the binary.

> Neither should the directory logs are in.  If you do not heed these
> warnings, you loose all guru points and risk a root compromise.

Don't know what your thing with these guru points is. I don't see your
point about root compromise in the case that web server is run by the same
uid as the owner of the logs directory.. Assuming someone can maliciously
mangle the logs through apache, at most it would be a user compromise. A
bit far fletched, but perhaps possible through the frontpage module
(only module I haven't picked apart yet).

> Again, these files should not be writable or owned by the user Apache runs
> as.  Nothing should, with the possible exception of data files that some
> CGIs want to manipulate.

If security it is that you want, then CGI scripts should also be
prohibited.

> The frontpage extensions have wanted many things to be true with your
> Apache setup; if this is one of them, then don't be silly enough to listen
> to Microsoft.

>From what I have seen about frontpage clients that certainly seems to be
the case..

Bernie