Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 22:08:10 -0700
From:      dale@northcoast.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   init (/etc/rc) troubles

I've go two lines in /etc/rc that are producing error messages.  At
the end of booting up, I see:
<begin startup messages--->
starting network
ifconfig: localhost: bad value
localhost: bad value
starting system logger.
  syslogd: bind: Can't assign requested address
<----end startup messages>

I'm running FreeBSD 2.0R on a 486DX2/66 without network interface.  My
only network contact is by occassional PPP dial out to my Internet
Provider.

The first error is coming from the following line in /etc/netstart:
ifconfig lo0 inet localhost
I have no /dev/lo0.  I don't know what a loopback is.  The next error
message is probably related, but I don't know exactly where it's
coming from.

As for the syslogd error, I'm totally stumped.  It's preventing
syslogd from running at all so no /var/log/messages are being logged.
 Is the address referred to /dev/log or /var/log/messages?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  These problems may be related
to why startx tells me:
<begin X startup messages--->
waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .