Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:39:50 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Aleksey Kukhar <tiran@azuritesoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiport cards' operation problem on 5.0-RELEASE

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Aleksey Kukhar wrote:

> Please advice me. I have computer with ancient isa multiport card in
> it. A couple of days before we have switched to 5.0-RELEASE from
> 4.2-RELEASE. Now I am experiencing problems with the multiport card.
> No hardware settings (including BIOS) were changed.
>
> Kernel reports that "sioXX: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed
> irqs 0". Irq 10 is dedicated (BIOS) to legacy ISA devices.
>
> Please, help me with this issue. I include some useful information
> about my system here (a-e):

Is anything actually broken?  The above message is only to help diagnose
non-working interrupts.  It is printed if interrupts are broken at
probe time.  Interrupts might be broken at probe time but work later.

> a) 4.2-RELEASE kernel messages (everything is ok):
> > : sio2 at port 0x180-0x187 irq 10 flags 0x205 on isa0
> > : sio2: type 16550A (multiport master)
> > : sio3 at port 0x188-0x18f flags 0x205 on isa0
> > : sio3: type 16550A (multiport)
> > : sio9 at port 0x1b8-0x1bf flags 0x205 on isa0
> > : sio9: type 16550A (multiport)

> c) 5.0-RELEASE, fragment of /boot/device.hints (ports of multiport
> card are sio4-sio11):
> > hint.sio.4.at="isa"
> > hint.sio.4.port="0x180"
> > hint.sio.4.flags="0x405"
> > hint.sio.4.irq="10"
> > hint.sio.5.at="isa"
> > hint.sio.5.port="0x188"
> > hint.sio.5.flags="0x405"
> > hint.sio.11.at="isa"
> > hint.sio.11.port="0x1b8"
> > hint.sio.11.flags="0x405"

The new configuration seems to be OK, but is different (the master port
is 4 instead of 2).

> d) 5.0-RELEASE, some kernel messages from boot sequence:
> > : sio10: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > : sio10: port may not be enabled
> > : sio10 at port 0x1b0-0x1b7 flags 0x405 on isa0
> > : sio10: type 16550A (multiport)
> > : sio11: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > : sio11: port may not be enabled
> > : sio11 at port 0x1b8-0x1bf flags 0x405 on isa0
> > : sio11: type 16550A (multiport)
> > : sio4: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > : sio4: port may not be enabled
> > : sio4 at port 0x180-0x187 irq 10 flags 0x405 on isa0
> > : sio4: type 16550A (multiport master)
> > : ...
> > : sio9: configured irq 10 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> > : sio9: port may not be enabled
> > : sio9 at port 0x1a8-0x1af flags 0x405 on isa0
> > : sio9: type 16550A (multiport)

Something unsorted sio10-sio11.  All the sio ports are in numerical
order in hints but are in lexical order for probes.  This shouldn't
matter, but the code that is supposed to give order independence was
broken a long time ago and never fixed (it is inside `#if 0' in both
RELENG_4 and -current).

I don't see how this can be fatal or give misbehaviour much different
from in RELENG_4.  I would have expected the "not in bitmap" warning
more consistently.  You seem to have accidentally avoided the disordering
of sio10-sio11 in RELENG_4 by only using 1-digit port numbers.  Try
deleting sio2-sio3 from hints and moving sio4-sio11 down to sio2-9 to
get the same configuration as in RELENG_4.  Try to duplicate the problem
with RELENG_4 by misconfiguring to get -current's strange probe order.

Bruce