Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 18:09:26 +0000
From:      Ron Steele <rjs@clark.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   xcdplayer and reading the TOC

I am still trying to get a cd player to work on 2.0R.  I compiled xcdplayer
(with the patches for FreeBSD) with debug and stepped through the
code with gdb to see where it is failing.  The drive is opened and the
tocheader is read and the values in it look reasonable, but the ioctl to
read the toc entries fails and returns an error code which indicates that
the drive is not configured.  I would really like to get this to work, but
I don't have a clue as to how to go about debugging the kernel.  Any
suggestions about what might be wrong, or of a way to debug this  without
having to learn more than I really want to about kernel debugging?

BTW, I don't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with the code.
I assume some strang incompatiblity with my hardware - I seem to be
a magnet for such things.  The drive is a Mitsumi double speed and it
lives in a Dell P90 with a PCI bus.  The following is from dmesg:

mcd0: version information is 0 D 2
mcd0: Adjusted for newer drive model
mcd0: type Mitsumi FX001D
mcd0 at 0x300-0x303 irq 10 on isa