Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:27:00 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd human intervention question

--L4xCDQ7GT+ph8Lmk

Kelly Yancey wrote:

>   I've run into a strange problem while creating a new port that I hope
> someone can help me with. I've got a patch that I download from a remote =
site
> which contains patches to 7 files. However, the 7th file doesn't exist (n=
or
> should it...that's OK). So, I was going to use PATCH_DIST_ARGS to explici=
tely
> skip the 7th file using -S. The problem is that due to a bug in patch (PR
> 19638), patch asks "File to patch:" and waits for human intervention (it =
turns
> out that it doesn't matter what they type, just something, and then patch=
(1)=20
> will skip that patch).
>   So the question is: what do I do? Even if the PR is closed tomorrow, it=
'll
> only be for -current and maybe MFC'ed to -stable (it's a pretty simple pa=
tch,
> so I should think so). I still need a solution that works for everyone wi=
th
> the still-broken patch(1).

Are you sure you don't want -f:

       -f, --force
            forces  patch  to  assume that the user knows exactly
            what he or she is doing, and to  not  ask  any  ques-
            tions.   It  assumes  the following: skip patches for
	                                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            which a file to patch can't  be  found;  patch  files
	    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            even  though  they  have  the  wrong  version for the
            ``Prereq:''  line  in  the  patch;  and  assume  that
            patches  are not reversed even if they look like they
            are.  This option does not suppress  commentary;  use
            -s for that.

=46rom reading the manual page it looks like -S doesn't do what you want,
but perhaps I'm misreading it.

--=20
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D

--L4xCDQ7GT+ph8Lmk