Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 10:26:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Les LaCroix <Les.LaCroix@Carleton.edu>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: followup: page fault in kernel mode

On Saturday,  8 August 1998 at 17:48:13 -0500, Les LaCroix wrote:
> [A recap of the story: 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 panicked with a page fault in kernel
> mode on an AMD-K6 300 w/ 100 MHz EPoX mbrd, 128 Mb ECC memory, Intel
> EtherExpress Pro PCI NIC, 7200 RPM Seagate UltraIDE hard drive, Adaptec 1520
> ISA SCSI adapter.  The fault was a read fault to the address in the
> instruction pointer.  gdk -k was able to trace back only a few stack frames,
> through the call stack for the system traps generated by the page fault but
> no further.  I concluded that something was munging the stack, corrupting a
> return address.  (Note that the faulty address was always the same.)
> Removing the Adaptec 1520 dramatically reduced the frequency of the panics,
> but did not eliminate them.]
>
> I reinstalled the Adaptec 1520 and retrograded back to 2.2.5 a week ago, and
> have been running around the clock since then with no panics.  The machine
> is up and in production now, filling in for a terribly slow Sparcstation I
> was previously sharing.

Hmm.  Not good.

> If someone would be interested in looking at a crash dump, I can try to
> tempoarily re-install a 2.2.6 kernel.  I need a good excuse to do a large
> backup anyway. :)  But I don't really have the expertise to dig into it
> myself, nor can I afford to let the machine crash several times daily while
> I'm trying to solve the problem.

You should enter a pr about this one.  People on -questions are good
for things which can be answered quickly, but you'll get this kind of
problem solved better by entering a PR.

You'll also need a kernel with debugging symbols.  I seem to recall
you have one of those.  And you can probably just change the kernel,
not the whole system, and run the 2.2.7 kernel with 2.2.5 userland
(though this is normally a Bad Idea).

If you want to respond to me privately, and you can give me access to
the machine, I'll take a look at what you've got.

Greg