Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:32:52 -0800
From:      "Jesse Geddis" <sgeine@yahoo.com>
To:        "Gautham Ganapathy" <gauthamg123list@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions @ FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: RAM Memory Question

I wouldn't call seeing half your ram working fine out of the box. you said your
machine sees it fine ala bios moving onto the kernel which is where you said
problem is. again, try setting the below in your kernel when you compile it
# MAXMEM specifies the amount of RAM on the machine;

it sounds like you're looking at it as a hardware problem which it doesn't
appear to be since like you said your machine boots past BIOS. tell your kernel
how much ram you have since it isn't seeing it all. there is no other way that I
know of to tell your kernel specifically how much RAM you have which is what you
need to do.

try setting
options 	MAXMEM="(256*1024)"