Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:56:41 +0900
From:      Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        boozy@rabelo.eti.br
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -current and IPv6

> Hi Lists,
>
> How are the implementation of IPv6 in FreeBSD 4.0? Is it available? Is it
> stable?

The work on the current is still going on.
Followings are already committed, and seems to be working well.
 -most of IPv6 extensions in kernel(tcp for IPv6 and IPv6 multicasting not yet)
 -IPsec in kernel
 -libc update
 -basic tools(ifconfig, route, netstat)
 -several udp and raw apps for IPv6

Now following patch is under review on freebsd-arch and
cvs-committers.
 -tcp for IPv6

And following patch will be made for review soon.
 -libipsec and several ipsec related apps

Then followings will be prepared.
 -IPv6 multicasting for kernel and apps
 -tcp apps for IPv6
 -ppp for IPv6
 -several library updates for IPv6
 -many ports for IPv6

> What is better: use FreeBSD 3.4 with Kame or FreeBSD 4.0?

Enough functionality is available now only on FreeBSD 3.4 with Kame.
And other differencies are,

  - on-going merging on FreeBSD4.0 is based on KAME 19991101 SNAP,
    and some add on bug fixes.
    So FreeBSD 3.4 with Kame has newer changes based on KAME environment.
    (also might have newer bugs ;-)

  - I found some FreeBSD 3.x with Kame bugs on merging work,
    and fixed them on the current.
    Significant ones are committed to KAME repository soon, but
    small things might be delayed, because now I am more
    concentrated on 4.0 merging work.

Yoshinobu Inoue