Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 00:22:25 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net, phk@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

>>> 1. People will have to make their changes as patches this way.
>>
>>CVS does that for us.  Having 'patches' doesn't buy us anything when
>>it's a critical portion of the tree.

>Sorry, but available history shows that this, true as it may be in
>theory, doesn't work in practice.  On the otherhand we get patches
>from the ports collection integrated at the authors all the time.

That's because the bmaked version works so well that it rarely _needs_
to be touched.  When it is fresh it just works, and when it is out of
date it works well enough that people don't want to risk breaking it.

>Try gcc for a prime example of how it doesn't work.

>>> 4. It takes up LESS space.
>>
>>BS.  The *first* version takes up less space, but for every version
>>afterwards it takes up *incredibly* more space.  Every new import
>>effectively doubles the space, since there is probably < 10% overlap in
>>a uuencoded gzip file.

>du(1) our gcc versions to see if that holds water :-)

Ha.  gcc is about 7MB for the tarball and 25MB unpacked.  Our sources are
12MB for the cvs repository and 11MB checked out.  The repository would
be about 1MB smaller if it didn't have diffs for bison output.  Both
methods would require much more space if history was maintained.

Bruce