Date:      09 May 1999 19:43:44 -0400
From:      chopps@merit.edu (Christian E. Hopps)
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   osi layer

It would appear that FreeBSD removed the OSI code at some point
in the past.

I'm working on IP in IS-IS in GateD.  For this to function I must
have access to the OSI stack.  I have it working under BSDI and
NetBSD, but for obvious reasons it won't run under FreeBSD.

IS-IS only needs a portion of the networking layer present
and nothing above that.  I need to be able to send packets on the
Raw like OSI sockets (AF_ISO, SOCK_DGRAM, ISOPROTO_ESIS and
ISOPROTO_CLTP).  I do not need OSI routing to work.  I don't
actually need ES-IS (which is in kernel in BSD4.4) but if its not
there I need some way to join the OSI physical layer multicast
addresses.

IP in IS-IS is actually fairly popular, so the removal of the OSI
code may be worth reconsidering.

Regards,
Chris.