Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:54:54 -0000
From:      Martin Tournoy <carpetsmoker@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel A." <alive@dienub.org>, "Kevin Kinsey" <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: Employee 'Net Usage, proxy server, restrictions, legal, etc.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:09:59 -0000, Daniel A. <alive@dienub.org> wrote:

> By the way, look what I just received in my inbox:
>> We're sorry, the following message could not be delivered:
>>  This is due to the fact that your message may contain
>> unacceptable language or inappropriate material as outlined
>> by our company email policy.
>>     Message: B4499deb50001.000000000001.000f.mml
>>    From:    alive@dienub.org
>>    To:      relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie
>>    Subject: Re: OT: Employee 'Net Usage, proxy server, restrictions,
>> legal, etc.
>>  Please remove any questionable content and resend your message.
>>  Email filtering provided by NETRIPLEX.
>>  http://www.netriplex.com
>
> I, personally, believe that such cases of filtering are just plain
> outright immature and over the board. If you don't trust your employees,
> fire them and hire someone you trust.

I don't see any offensive material...?

Anyway
Daniel is absolutly right here.
You should of seen the things we figured out to get around filtering at
school, even the lusers managed to do so...

I work in a small company, six employees at the moment, and everyone has
his own workstation.
We've got several do's and don't's, and they are broken on a regular base.
We've had people using MSN (even though chatting is allowed, but not with
the MSN client)
downloading movies,
even replacing the legal, paid for version of windows with their own
illegal downloaded one (beats me why someone would want to do that...)

I suppose we can start blocking stuff, what would the result be?
People will spend even more company time on personal things, trying to get
around the blockade.

Besides, how harmfull is it?

As for your kids
I believe it's better to allow them full access to the internet.
Like Daniel said, your kids will get around the block anyway.

> don't want the kids to learn any four-letter words from the 'Net before
> the age of majority [wish
> me luck!])

I think it's better to learn your kids those words yourself, and explain
that it's not very nice to say them.
They probably have learned them already.
I've been a boyscout leader for a couple of years, 5 to 7 year old kids,
and each and every one of them knew not just a few, but the full range of
words already.

And when it comes to pornographic or violent material, it's probably best
to have a chat like Daniel said, and skim through the history list every
now and then.
When they really want to see naked ladies, they will, at their friend's,
or they'll buy a playboy, lots of alternatives there.