Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:18:09 +0200
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: graphics/png status, when will 1.5.13 appear in ports?

Hi!

> > > I didn't realize the FreeBSD ports people would be so cautious with png.
>
> > [5810 eitan@radar ~ ]%grep png-1.5 -c /usr/ports/INDEX-10
> > 6036
>
> > might help explain why. :)
>

> > Eitan Adler
>
> I don't have INDEX-10, but ran
> grep png-1.5 -c /BETA1/usr/ports/INDEX-9
> and got 6032.
>
> Does that mean so many ports depend on png-1.5?

Yes.

> I guess they don't want to risk the small chance of png-1.5.13 breaking a
> whole lot of ports?

Yes, that's the reason. The ports tree has stability targets, freshness
targets and time targets (like getting a RELEASE out), and probably
some other targets as well.

Sometimes, one target looses against one of the others.

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         8 years to go !