Date:      06 Sep 1997 12:02:57 +0200
From:      Jacob Bohn Lorensen <jacob@jblhome.ping.dk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970904.tgz - can't hear anything while sampling from CD.

Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> writes:

> In order to remove the feedback, I decided to disconnect from the
> output mixer the source(s) currently being used for record. This
> explains the behaviour you see.

But it makes it really difficult to sample for example the guitar solo
only from a song on a CD. I wish to do this and then somehow
transform the sample so I can play it at half speed but still have the
correct tuning. I.e., if you just sample at 44100 Hz and then play the
sample at 22050 Hz, you're almost done - except for the fact that
all frequencies are halved (even the most soprano voice turns almost
to a bass voice :-)

> I could have let the user selectively disable sources to the output
> mixer but there is no ioctl() to do that, so I would need a new one,
> and applications would not work without recompiling.

What was done in the old sound driver? I seem to remember having heard
what was being sampled while it was being sampled on one of my
friends' computer; he had en non-pnp SB16, I think.

If you sample from the CD or "line in" only there should be no problem
with feedback? Only if you sample from a microphone should the input
source be cut away... I think...

Thanks again,
Jacob.

--
Jacob Lorensen; Mosebuen 33, 1.; DK-2820 Gentofte, Denmark; +45-31560401
PGP ID = E596F0B5; PGP Fingerprint = 1E8726467436DC4A 723B6678C5AD9E71