Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:43:50 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Nick Hibma <hibma@skylink.it>, current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: usb keyboard?

>Yes, I have ""KBD_INSTALL_CDEV" in my kernel config file.
>
>Actually, my problem was that the default keyboard is the AT keyboard
>what I need is to have my default keyboard be the USB keyboard.

You want to use the USB keyboard as the only keyboard in the system,
and want to get rid of the AT keyboard, right?

Please try the following steps.  I have not tested this configuration
myself yet, but I expect it should work.

0. You said you have already done this, but I will write it for a
record anyway...

Make sure /dev/kbd* is present.  If not go to /dev and

	./MAKEDEV kbd0 kbd1

Also make sure

	options "KBD_INSTALL_CDEV"

is included in your kernel configuration file.

1. Remove `atkbd0' from your kernel configuration file so that the AT
keyboard won't be recognized.  (Leave `atkbdc0' in, as it is used by
the PS/2 mouse driver `psm'.)

Then, you tell `syscons' to use the USB keyboard; this is necessary
because the USB drivers have not been attached when syscons is being
initialized, and syscons will not find the USB keyboard. Therefore, it
will start without a keyboard and you have to explicitly tell syscons
which keyboard to use.

This can be done in one of the two ways.

2a. Explicitly run the following command as a part of start-up script
(say, /etc/rc.i386).

	kbdcontrol -k /dev/kbd0 < /dev/ttyv0 > /dev/null

Note that /dev/kbd0 is the USB keyboard as the AT keyboard will not be
probed and attached.

2b. Specify a flag to `syscons' so that it will look for a keyboard.

	device sc0 at isa? tty flags 0x100

With this flag specified, `syscons' will periodically look for any
available keyboard until it finds one.

Kazu