Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:20:24 +0200
From:      Asker <noreply@nospam.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Subject:   FTP installation from the floppies through ADSL modem with PPPoE or PPTP  protocol.

>>>If you need the machine to do PPPoE, ppp supports PPPoE.  For this to
>>>work, though, you need netgraph, which isn't in GENERIC.  You will need
>>>to make a custom kernel and build your own set of custom floppies.
>>
>> Ok, so in my situation the installation of FreeBSD is impossible.
>> What do you think about changing GENERIC or just the kernel in installation
>> floppies in the future releases of FreeBSD? I think it will be very useful
>> because ADSL (therefore PPPoE protocol) is very frequent method of
>> connecting with Internet Service Provider in our days.
>
> Read the other peoples' posts.  It seems I was incorrect in my
> statement.  Despite the lack of a set of kernel modules on the floppies,
> PPPoE is still supported.  Randy Pratt posted a link to a doc he wrote
> on getting PPPoE working within sysinstall.

Ok, I found Randy Pratt's message in freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, thank you
and thanks to Randy. I will try his method. But I think it will be a great idea
to add PPPoE into the sysinstall menu. Then the method will be no to so tricky
and abnormal.

>> P.S. FTP installation use much less internet traffic than 4 huge ISO files'
>> downloading.
>
> Depending on what you're installing, yes.  Personally, I prefer to have
> everything local during an install.  I've never liked the idea of
> connecting to the internet as root, and that's exactly what you do when
> doing an FTP install.

I partially agree with you, "to have everything local" is better but if it was
possibly I was not asked the question about PPPoE/PPTP and FTP installation.
Also I don't think FTP installation through the internet is as security risky as
you draws. You have no port listening during the installation, you use just FTP
client to download the files. What kind of attack could you be exposed and what
root's role will be? Only DoS attacks I think, some kind of flood for example.
And if you download ISO files the chances of the DoS are worsen?