Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:51:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, flygt@sr.se
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Timezone question

On Monday,  5 April 1999 at  1:04:17 +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 12:57:23PM +0200, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
>>
>> In total it was 2 different troubles I had. One machine, running DOS and
>> PC-NFS, and the other running braindead NT
>>
>> On the first I set the timezone CET-1DST as mentioned above, but the
>> other one running Neanderthal Technology, I had to set the timezone to
>> GMT-2 to get it to understand where it was. (Yes it IS GMT-2 to make it
>> work, although Sweden is GMT+2 hours)
>
> Does FreeBSD update the RTC for Daylight Saving?

You mean the clock?  No.

> I only ask because my machine was booted to FreeBSD when the clocks
> changed and the next day FreeBSD was showing the correct time. When
> I rebooted the RTC was showing the correct time as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by RTC.  If you mean the CMOS clock, it
*should* be showing UTC.  UNIX doesn't use local time, it converts the
time representation to wherever you happen to be.  That's why you can
use the TZ environment variable to display time anywhere in the world.

Having said that, FreeBSD has a kludge for coexisting with Microsoft
on the same machine: it's called adjkerntz, and it does just about
what you're describing, so you probably have it running.  You can
check if it's running with ps(1).  Unless you happen to run Microsoft
on the same machine, you can safely remove it.

> FWIW, both W95 & NT also both showed the correct time (probably
> because the RTC was correct & both Winblows had "Automatically
> adjust for DST" *unchecked*) although 95 correctly thinks the TZ
> is GMT, Daylight Saving but NT thinks it is just GMT.

You'd think they'd get these things right, wouldn't you?

Greg