Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 02:09:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      brian@mpress.com
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI posting/bursting vs. Chembook 9750 Laptop (solution)

I reported earlier that -current would not run on my Chembook/Chicony 9750
laptop. P5-200/32MB (-stable, and 6 month old -current work fine)

Basically the system would seize up after the last kernel message and
before the first message regarding the filesystem mounting.
Additionally spurious characters would appear across the 1st 3 lines
of the display.

Well after a half-interval search I isolated the problem down to the
PCI posting option.  Basically with regard to the PCI bus I can
select (within the CMOS setup)

     PCI Bursting:
	 Disable
	 Posting Only
	 Posting/Bursting

Selecting Posting Only, or Posting/Bursting causes the failure.

HOWEVER, there are no problem running -stable, or a -current
kernel I built six months ago. I.E. for those versions I can
leave PCI Posting/Bursting turned on.

Any ideas what may be going wrong?

Another person with a laptop that was not a Chembook 9750 reported
similar crashing.  Hopefully this solution will help him too.

--
Brian Litzinger
brian@mpress.com