Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2012 10:01:07 +0330
From:      h bagade <bagadeh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problem with vlan interfaces tagging/untagging in a simulated switch box

Hi all,

I have problems with vlan interfaces on freebsd. I want to make my
system like a switch with vlan ports and also a trunk port in
conjuction with other switches. I thought that vlan interfaces would
help me tagging traffic when traffic is going out the trunk port(or
when it receives on vlan ports).
The problem, I've encountered is that vlan interafaces on freebsd do
tagging/untagging when the traffic is sourced/destined from/to them
which in this case they should be assigned IP addresses. In other
words they won't tag the traffic passing through their parent
interface which I need to.

In my case to be acting like a switch, interfaces on system won't have
ip addresses and I need to tag the traffic coming from for example
interface1 when passing through interfaceN(acting as trunk port).
How could I reach this? would it be possible to use vlan interfaces to do so?

I've tried many many ways to simulate the case but no success
achieved! I'm really interested to find the proper solution for my
config.

Any comments or hints are really apperciated.