Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:07:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-database@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Database for FreeBSD 2.2.X: DB2 or Interbase possible?

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Berend de Boer wrote:

> Hai All,
>
> For my first FreeBSD database implementation I want to use either DB2 or
> Interbase, of course the Linux versions as there is no FreeBSD version of a
> commercial database I believe.
>
> Has anyone experience with them?
>
> Or can someone recommend a different solution?
>

> Environment: two simultaneous users, running Win95. Client developed with
> Delphi 3.0. Will be traditional 2-tier system.
>
> Server: Pentium 233Mhz, 128MB, SCSI-3, 4GB disk.
>
> It's not a demanding environment.
>
> Solutions should be cheap (i.e. 250$-$1000 for db with 2 user licence). And
> most importantly, it should require absolutely no maintainance and be very
> robust. I'm a busy guy, this db should just run.
>

> Groetjes,
>
> Berend.

  Solid from www.solidtech.com  A version for two users will be really
cheap.  Low maintenance.  Supports online backup (mysql for example,
blocks all updates during a backup), and is fully relational (mysql is not
relational because it does not support transactions).  The ODBC client for
Windows 95 is really nice.  Mysql ODBC for Windows can be iffy.

Tom