Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 11:29:34 +0100
From:      David Clear <davidc@pdd.3com.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PC configuration advice wanted.

Hi,

I'm very close to buying what Gateway here in the UK call a
a "P5-90 Premium Multimedia".  This has:

	P90 Processor
	16MB EDO RAM
	1Gb EIDE disk
	Quad speed CDROM
	17" Vivitron monitor
	2Mb Graphics card (ATI Mach 64 (?????))

I'm planning to run FreeBSD and Windows 95 (or 3.1 if 95 turns out to
be a turkey).

The first kind of response to this I'm looking for is:

	"Yes it will work, no problems."
	or
	"No!  Don't do it Dave."

The one thing I am concerned about is that the advert doesn't mention
cache memory.  The 133 model does have 256K sync burst mode cache.
I don't know much about PC motherboards, memory types or cache technology.
I've been hearing words like Zappa and Endeavour recently - I assume
Endeavour is better than Zappa as it's newer... but I don't know why.. nor
do I know which one Gateway uses.  I've heard EDO RAM lets you access
data in the same row quicker - sounds good.  But I've also heard that
EDO ram without a sync burst mode cache doesn't give you anything - so
EDO _without_ a L2 cache?  I'm missing something I think.  I'd like to
hear from someone who knows.

The last point is on graphics.  I'd like 1280x1024.  Will I get it from
this setup?  If not, what do I need?

Gee...  I've been working with UNIX systems for the past 8 years and it's
just been a case of plugging the bits in that DEC or Sun provide and off
you go.  Now it's my own money (Gateway quote 2213 UK pounds - I'll leave
my American friends to work it out for themselves... then they can have
a good laugh and be thankful they live where they do...) and there are
a million choices.  All I want to do is get to an XDM prompt...

Advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.