Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:37:28 +0000
From:      "Nick A. Fikouras" <nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wollongong and FreeBSD

> >> Greetings all!
> >>
> >> I'm setting up a system for a friend, and we are having a really tough
> > time
> >> getting one machine on the network.  The server is running
> > 2.2.7-RELEASE and is
> >> running fine.  From Windows and FreeBSD machines, all the networking
> > goes fine.
> >>
> >> But there is one DOS machine (the user hates Windows, but uses it for
> > DOS
> >> games), that refuses to get with the network.  It is using the
> > Wollongong
> >> Pathway TCP/IP stack with an NE2000 card to try to get onto the
> > network.  It can
> >>
> >> ping itself fine, and the FreeBSD machine can ping itself, but neither
> > can ping
> >> each other.  But what is odd is that the DOS machine can get one packet
> > through
> >> the first time it's booted.  I know this because running a netstat -rn
> > shows
> >> the IP of the DOS machine, and, here's the odd thing, the hardware
> > address of
> >> the ethernet card.  I've not seen that before...
> >>
> >> So the question I'm asking is:  Has anyone ever worked with
> > Wollongong's
> >> Pathway to put a DOS machine on the network?  Any pointers or
> > experience in
> >> this area?

I do not think the problem you are describing has anything to do with the dos
machine. I have witnessed the same behaviour in my network and I do not have any
DOS machines connected. This problem appears when I am creating routes to hosts,
either manually or from within the rc.conf file. After reboot, I execute netstat
-nr and see that the route to the host has been included into my routing tables
but instead of the nodes real MAC address I find my own machines MAC address. As
an effect when I ping the node my machine is transmitting ping IP packets with the
nodes IP address but with my MAC address. As you can understand, there is no
response because no node picks up the traffic from the link.

Executing arp -a to check out the arp table I find that the nodes arp entry is
listed as incomplete?????? Deleting the arp entry even deletes the route to the
host from the routing table!?! Go figure!
The only way I've bypassed this problem is by manually loading a valid arp table
as soon as the machine has booted. It is a shame that I have to resort to a
solution like this when I could get this to work with Linux!!!!

To make your own file of arp entries file edit a file and add a line for each
entry. Thesyntax of each line should be:

hostname (or IP address)    Ether_address

When the file has been created you execute arp -f filename (You can get that info
from the arp man page)
Check it out and tell me if it works.

nick