Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2023 13:09:03 -0600
From:      Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>
To:        "Elmar K. Bins" <elmi@4ever.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Raspi4 13.2] Keyboard woes

On 6 Dec 2023, at 8:10, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

> Re Nuno,
>
> thanks for looking at this.
>
> eduardo@freebsd.org (Nuno Teixeira) wrote:
>
>>> Is keyboard original from raspberry?
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-arm/2023-July/002810.html
>
> I didn't even know they sold a keyboard. This looks like a generic rebrand.
> I concur with Mark, I don't think this makes any difference.
>
> Because you asked; I've tested a whole bunch of keyboards..
>
> - original IBM Model M from 1983
> - Replica Model F from 2022
> - Korean generic USB keyboard
> - Apple M0115 on an ADB->USB converter
> - Apple M3501 on an ADB->USB converter
> - HHKB
> - Das Keyboard 4
> - really old Olivetti on a PS2->USB converter
> - Cherry G80-3000 from 2018
> - some generic more or less ancient ones lying around
>
> *All* of them work in U-Boot and after FBSD is way into the boot process.
> *None* of them do anything in between (i.e. beastie).
> Changing the physical port used makes no difference.
>
> Note: There is nothing on the screen to either indicate a problem or
> recognition of the keyboard.
>
> To me it appears that the drivers (maybe USB in general, maybe only HID) are
> only loaded way after beastie. (If so, why?)
>

> So... cool that you could solve this by using a Pi brand keyboard, but I don't
> think this is actually what solved the issue.
>
> So, my questions stand:
>

>   Is this a known issue with USB keyboards on the Pi (or Pi4)?
>   (Never saw this on other hardware, also with USB keyboards)
>
>   Is there a workaround (like a magic boot.conf setting)?
>
> If anybody has solved this with a generic keyboard...please... I'd really hate
> going back to Linux on that thing.

No workaround, but a couple of data points:

- I don't have this problem on a 4 GB RPi 4 of the original revision, although
the firmware has been updated.  I tested with 13.2 and 14.0.

- However. I do have the problem on an RPi 3B+ with either 13.2 or 14.0.

btw, the loader doesn't use loadable drivers, so driver loading is not the problem.

		Mike