Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:18:57 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <Pine.LNX.4.33.0102261650340.5502-100000@duckman.distro.conectiva>,
> >And maybe, just maybe, they'll succeed in getting their
> >idea of non-overcommit working with a patch which doesn't
> >change dozens of places in the kernel and doesn't add
> >any measurable overhead.
>
> If it adds overhead, fine, make it a kernel option.  :)
>
> Anyway, no, I'm not going to contribute code right now.  If I get time
> to do this at all, I'll probably do it to UVM first.
>
> My main objection was to the claim that the C standard allows
> random segfaults.  It doesn't.  And yes, bad hardware is a
> conformance violation.  :)

I don't think a failed kernel-level allocation after overcommit
should generate a segfault.

IMHO it should send a bus error (or a sigkill if the process
doesn't exit after the SIGBUS).

Rationale:
SIGSEGV for _user_ mistakes (process accesses wrong stuff)
SIGBUS for _system_ errors  (ECC error, kernel messes up, ...)

cheers,

Rik
--
Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml