Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:22:57 -0800
From:      Dan Mahoney <dan@wolf.com>
To:        Florin Nicolescu <fnicoles@pcnet.pcnet.ro>, FreeBSD-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sever ide hdd crash

I normally hesitate to recommend such low-level steps,
but my next recommendation would be to get your hands
on a good digital voltmeter and look at the output of
the PC power supply.  If you have an unused disk-drive
power connector, monitor the voltages there while the
machine is running - preferably, while it is performing
the same type of operation that has been leading up to
system failures.

Look at the DC voltage levels, and look also at any AC
component that might be present.  If you have tried
swapping out everything except the case and the CPU,
then that might be the problem - since the power
supply stays with the case.

BUT BE CAREFUL!  Doing anything with the system running
is risky, and messing around with the power connectors
while power is applied makes it very easy to toast your
system if you jumper the wrong points together.