Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2014 00:10:58 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Dwaine Falls <junkertemp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request deletion of posts from Freebsd.org

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 09:25:15AM -0400, Dwaine Falls wrote:
> Dear Freebsd.org
>=20
> I am contacting you to request removal of a post I did some years ago on
> your site titled =E2=80=9CScott Crain from Xenia?? (who played a Driud in=
 Rob
> Scites Campaign).=E2=80=9D

As you can see on the bottom of the info page[1] about this mailing list,
the list is run by a moderator; freebsd-questions-owner@freebsd.org

Therefore I would respectfully suggest that you mail this question to the
moderator instead of to the list itself; it is off-topic. That is also why =
I'm
not sending this reply to the list.

But I don't think that the moderator will remove any messages.

> As the time of sending my email, I was unaware it would be posted for
> others to see and be included in Google searches. If I would have known it
> would be posted within the public domain, I would not have sent it.

The FreeBSD mailing lists are subscription-only. The name mailing list
*implies* that the message is re-sent to all subscribers.

The fact that messages are archived in perpetuity is clearly mentioned on t=
he
info page[1] of the list and in appendix C of the FreeBSD handbook[2].

[2]: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/eresources.html

Additionally, according to the privacy policy[3], anything you send to a
mailing list that you have subscribed to is considered *public*.

[3]: https://www.freebsd.org/privacy.html

Quoting the relevant pieces;

    We store information such as your email address, name, and organization=
 or
    company ("Personally Identifiable Information") only if you decide to s=
end us
    such information by submitting a FreeBSD bug or problem report ("PR"),
    subscribing to one of the FreeBSD mailing lists or posting content to o=
ur Site
    forums. The FreeBSD Project allows unlimited distribution of that conte=
nt.
    Information submitted in those reports and lists, including your Person=
ally
    Identifiable Information, is considered public and will be accessible to
    anyone on the web.

Mailing lists are often also archived by others, e.g. marc.info and Gmane. =
The
FreeBSD project has no control over these other copies, so removing them fr=
om
the FreeBSD archive would not remove them from the internet and would
essentially be futile.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq--