Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journaling

> I would love to see full journaling/logging for meta-data -- softupdates
> is cool, but seems to be a hard-coding of the rules as opposed to a
> general journaling fs.  Specifically, I'd love to see a journaling fs with
> extensible meta-data attributes, such as supported by XFS.  This would put
> us in a situation where adding new structures to the fs didn't require
> understanding the internals of the journalling--this way someone (say me)
> could add new meta-data (say ACLs) and not have to deal with the realities
> of softupdates, or even fsck.  IRIX XFS adds two new vops, a getexattr and
> setexattr for named extensions that are also logged.
Exactly! I would like to create a more flexible file system.

> The Linux people, to add ACL support, are using extra blocks on the file
> system.  The problem with this is that if the user can coerce a kernel
> failure (i.e., crash the system, cut the power, whatever), they can induce
> inconsistencies in the ACL and inode versions, meaning that if they time
> it right, they can influence the content of the ACLs, or other security
> data (MAC tags, etc).  With a logged extensible meta-data system, this
> could not happen.
Agreed. There is actually a thread on freebsd-hackers about this same
topic which I would like to bring to this list.

> Someone mentioned at one point that they were looking at porting XFS to
> FreeBSD.  I assume XFS is under some sort of community license and not a
> BSD license, but it might be a good place to start.
I would prefer not to even bother with XFS other than as a feature
reference. There license is not going to be a BSD license and as such I
dont want to bother porting it.

-Don