Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2017 14:51:18 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewaynegeraghty@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Donovan <kitche@kitchetech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Licence practice for dependencies - making use of more restrictive licences optional

Matthew,
Sure.  Some ports require gcc to compile, but these are covered by this
exemption
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/license.html
so that aspect isn't an issue, and its a little tangential anyway.  I'm not
focusing upon what opendnssec does, rather it was an example that appeared
on top of my freshports browse earlier and the inclusion of gnugrep was a
(human) memory trigger. ;)

Where a port needs something that is more restrictive than the original
authors intent, is the issue that I'd like to address.
For example, some ports provide the option of using libedit or readline,
while others have that option embedded in their configure scripts.  The
practice that I'd encourage is where an application/port uses a less
restrictive licence for their software then the less restrictive dependency
option should be used (mandated) or *preferably* provide that option for
port builders.

Developers provide a great service to all of us.  If they choose one
licence over another that's their choice and really outside of my intent of
this discussion.  It is more to do with whether or not dependencies that
restrict software use, should be optional or not, against the parent port.
For example if I use curl (MIT licence) - I can choose to select openssl
(OpenSSL) over gnutls (GPLv3) - a good thing.

Regards, Dewayne.
PS Sorry for sending to you (Matthew) twice, I'm used to replying only to
the author