Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:03:09 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Richard Secor" <rsecor@seqlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Drive Compression

"Richard Secor" writes:
[...]
> found that it works a little better if you set it up for use with an SGI
> system...

What kind of DDS drive is it? The only tape drive I've seen that has a
special SGI option are the TTi packaged drives. And those (were 8mm)
didn't work well on my SGI systems at all. Real unadulterated Exabytes
worked much better.

> however I am still haveing another issue....
>     when it gets to what could possibly be the end of the tape
>           it seems to stop and say something other than put another tape in.
>          then it asks if you want to restart dump or not.
>
> note:    I'm backing up several filesystems across a span of 3 hard
> drives....
>                  on one tape....  so i cant really tell dump the length of
> the tape ...... or density..
>                  as the tape will NEVER be at the begininning of the tape
>                   thus the "-a" option which should work.....
>                   but seems to have taken an extended vacation.

In spite of what the dump(8) man page says about -a the end of tape
detection in FreeBSD isn't quite reliable. Or maybe totally broken.
Last time I saw this topic come up, Those Who Are Doing Real Work
wished to postpone the EOT/EOD issue and deal with it in CAM.

Called Seagate a while back and recieved their Conner SCSI DAT manual,
circa 1995. So maybe I'll have something to contribute in the future as
I'd really like to see "mt stat" reporting all the juicy information SGI
Irix's mt reports. Plus I'd like to monitor the drive's ECC statistics.