Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 11:17:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        pchhibbe@attila.stevens-tech.edu (Parag Chhibber)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI and EIDE compatability

Parag Chhibber stands accused of saying:

> I was wondering if EIDE Mode 4 drives (ATA-2) were supported by FreeBSD.  If

They work, yes.  Whichever mode was set by the BIOS is preserved; most
decent BIOSses have an 'auto' setting which does a good job of getting
it right.

> so, are there any limitations? (Such as max size accessed?)  (Such as max 2
> EIDE drives? (Pentiums can support 4)).

None that I'm aware of.  Note that your last comment about Pentiums is total
marketing hokum.

> Also, does FreeBSD support the Promise EIDE 2300+ Controller (or does it
> just support on board controllers).

Disable the BIOS on the 2300.  Don't ever reenable it, or it will
eat your disk.

> Does FreeBSD also have compatiblity with ATAPI CD-ROMS?  (ie Toshiba 6X EIDE)

Some.  Why not try booting the install floppy and see if it works.
(for 2.1, you'll want the ATAPI floppy.)