Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 11:23:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LKM registration..

> Looking at teh LKM code, it apears to me that
> a device driver can either be block or char, but not both?
> am I misreading something?

Yes.  This is a deficiency.  Whether it's a deficiency in the model
that allows you to have a block device without a corresponding character
device (ie: BSD itself) or a deficiency in the available registration
mechanism (LKM) or just a complication (you can register a character
device LKM that depends on a block device LKM, or vice versa) is very
arguable.

I lean toward it being an issue of balance, ie: a problem in not
requiring (potentially non-functional) character and block device
nodes on parity with each other.

If you lean towards "deficiency", well, the generic LKM can be used
to implement registration as multiple archetypes, including device
driver and system call at the same time.  Two device drivers is a piece
of cake compared to something like that (what I would call a gross
functionality extension module -- you might use one for an ABI).

If you lean towards complication, you can break your devices into
multiple dependent modules and load them in dependency order.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.