Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern imgact_gzip.c

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>
> > > Hmm..I don't have a deflate on my system. This should be linked static as
> > > well, otherwise you need the runtime linker + libraries, and that has a 69k
> > > overhead (when stripped). Possibly this could be optimized further..I don't
> > > know if this is small enough to be useful however.
> >
> > It's a proof of concept, it didn't need to be static. I don't have a program
> > to do deflate either. What I know is that you said it would be hard, but
> > it was not very hard to make a framework to do what gzexe does in C.
>
> Actually:

> I said it would be easy(ier) :)
>
> FWIW, compiling libc.a and libz.a with -Os brings the overhead down to 67416
> bytes per executable. Linked dynamically it's 4829 bytes (i.e. the other 62k
> is library code), so it doesn't look like there's much room for improvement.

This sure seems like enough to replace a.out gzip support. Taking the
compression/decompression routines out of the kernel would save memory and
result in roughly the same amount of space being used. If we had a deflate
program, this would work quite well =)

> Kris
>
> -----
> "Never criticize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,
> because by that time you will be a mile away and have their shoes."
>     -- Unknown

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/