Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 14:39:44 -0700
From:      "Eric Parusel" <lists@globalrelay.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.3-STABLE freezes on SMP boxes!!!!!

I've got about 11 FreeBSD boxes at my workplace, and my one SMP
machine (all my boxes have kernels compiled after June 6th) crashed
pretty hard two days ago....   (I could change terminals (alt-f2,
etc), and type in the username, but once the password was entered
nothing happened, and ctrl-alt-del wasn't working...)

CVSUPed that morning (between 8:00am PDT and 12:00)
FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE (CUSTOMSMP) #1: Wed Jun  6 12:42:45 PDT 2001
on an HP LH3r, dual PIII 550 ...  about a .15 - .20 15 min. loadavg
usually.

I can include the dmesg.boot, but it's the same one as a previous
message I've sent on this list, about a week ago, because I was (and
still am) having "fxp0: device timeout" errors....
The only change I've made is I've put one of my PCI fxp NIC's into a
different slot (now two cards are on the same PCI bus, where they
weren't before, but I'm still getting fxpx: device timeout errors)

I've got 10 other boxes here running non-SMP kernels, with no crashing
or fxp problems, on HP E60's, HP LC2000's and HP LH3r's ...

Hope I'm not just adding to the confusion, but supplying a *little*
useful data...

Should I cvsup to the latest stable again?  Or backtrack to 4.3
Release?
This is our mail server for outside clients, so I would like to be a
*little* more stable :)   I'm almost considering taking out a CPU and
recompiling non-SMP...

Thanks,

Eric