Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 05:28:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Huppi <thuppi@huppi.com>
To:        Xian <ml-freebsd-newbies@codepad.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Noob boo boo with samba

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Xian wrote:

> On Friday 21 January 2005 09:09, Tom Huppi wrote:

> > > Well I wound up rebooting because I am impatient :) I did install lsof
> > > for the next time I do something stupid. thanks for the info.
> >
> > I doubt that what you did is stupid.  You just have to do it
> > right, and I suspect that you did else it probably wouldn't have
> > worked.
> >
> > The problem you seem to have run across is pretty common.  So is
> > the solution you choose...you are not the first person to have
> > done so...this is one of the few things I actually know for a
> > fact to be true :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >  - Tom
> >

> You can use the -f option on umount, but I wouldn'trecomend this ulless you
> are sure your not going to do dammage.

More often than not (in my experiance) the -f option is not
very effective.  I actually don't recall exactly which OS's I've
found this to be true on.  All of the ones I've used, I think.

> I mounted a USB Pen drive over my home dir and everything fell over. It ended
> in a kernel panic when I pulled the drive out still mounted. Oops.

I suspect that protecting against the disaprerance of a filesystem
which is in use would be both difficult to implement, and prone to
induce performance penalties.  I suspect that a concious trade-off
was made on the part of the OS designers, and that is at the root
of the extreame difficulty in umounting filesystems at times.

'umass' (which is asssociated with the pen drive I believe) should
be different though, I think.  In that case I suspect it was
simply some sort of bug, and hopefully solved by now.

iirc, back in the FreeBSD 2.x timeframe it was actually _expected
behavior_ to get a kernel panic if one ejected a mounted floppy.
Then folks decided that it was to much of a burdon on us poor
newbies and did something about it.

Thanks,

 - Tom