Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 12:06:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@mag.ucsd.edu>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High syscall overhead?

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Bill Huey wrote:

> > The Linux philosophy has always been about simplistic cycle counting
> > exercises without understand whether the data had any meaning or not.
> > You've once again displayed your wholehearted participation in this
> > lack of understanding of what the data points might mean to any real-
> > world application.
>
> Well, the thing I'm talking about isn't a philosophy, because
> it removed data serialization doing what I suspect is a kernel/user
> space copy from doing a superficial glance of the code.
>
> This is one of the detected bottlenecks in the Mindcraft study that
> suck copy performance by approximately 4 times.
>
> Another things that was included on the like bottleneck list is
> the waking of all the processes in the process queue when accept()
> is being called. This was termed the "Thundering Herds" problem, which
> they solve using a wake-one process implementation of accept().
>
> > denial" part.  Or, better yet, just fuck off and get the hell off our
> > list.  This is NOT an appropriate forum for Linux advocacy, which seems
> > to be all you can do.
>
> Well, so far I've heard alot of BS about Linux that isn't exactly true
> and much of it seems like a bunch of artificial problems that hold
> against the Linux folks. Most of it is just intentionally misrepresented
> bullshit.

That is totally wrong, Bill.  We have a public mail archive, so if you
don't like to believe me, go check our archive.  YOU have been the only
source of either Linux or FreeBSD bashing.  We have a pretty pleasing
assortment of grownups here, who have gone past the point of needing to
claim "my ball is better than your ball".

One of my own personal complaints about the Linux groups is that they
seem to grow the kind of people who need to disparage in order to feel
good.  This might be because my only exposure to Linux persons is via
Usenet, which is immersed in that teenage-type philosophy.  I don't know
of any Linux mailing lists of the order of the FreeBSD lists.

We don't need that approach here, it doesn't increase knowledge,
and only hurts feelings.  If you follow up on this thread, please DROP
all Linux/FreeBSD comparisons of that order.  We all know that both
Linux AND FreeBSD are fine unixes, and we don't need bashing here.

This list does occaisonally have some comparisons, Linux vs. FreeBSD,
but if it isn't kept strictly technical, and non-accusatory, we don't
want it or need it.

I have seen people in the past that were honestly surprised at the huge
difference between Usenet newsgroup rules, and our FreeBSD list rules.
If you actually fit in that category, maybe you should "lurk" these
lists for a while, so you can see the difference, and not find yourself
outside of our lists normal behaviour.

> I came on this list initially to just check was the FreeBSD community
> was like, but what I've gotten since is alot of ego and hostility
> toward things that aren't completely FreeBSD. That's something that
> I didn't expect and reading this list has given me a particular
> negative view of FreeBSD that wasn't present before.

People don't like your need to compare, in order to make one group seem
better or worse than another.  You need to find some other way to get
your point across.

> In-fighting with the current NFS maintainer and general rudeness to other
> potential devs make FreeBSD's kernel people look like bunch of dorks whether
> you like it or not.
>
> I'm also not big enough asshole ot put someone on a "kill-list" and is just
> a reflection of a kind of conservative need to dehumanize other folks
> so that your selfish comfort is "preserved".

Profanity is also one of the things not accepted here.

> > Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
>
> bill

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |