Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:32:23 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recursively Deinstalling and Upgrading Packages/Ports without Breaking Dependencies?

--jETBN8RXqQCT3b7oUvmVSAc13SeV60knm

On 01/27/15 08:13, Chris Knight wrote:
> That only works if the dependencies were added as automatic
> dependencies. Won't work if the dependency wasn't automatically added
> as part of the package's prerequisites for installation.

Yes.  This is IMHO one of the things that pkg2ng is rather deficient at.
 However, it is fairly easy to toggle the 'automatic' bit, and given you
know which packages you installed specifically to use, writing a quick
script to set those to not automatic and everything else to automatic is
pretty trivial.  Well worth doing when converting from the old package
tools.

After that, pkg seems to keep that automatic bits pretty well in line
with your intentions just through normal usage, and shouldn't need any
more than an occasional fixup or use of '-A' with pkg install.

	Cheers,

	Matthew