Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 14:38:19 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        fybar@hotmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more: vpn from behind firewall

> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 05:59:10 +0000
> From: "Trevor Osatchuk" <fybar@hotmail.com>
> Subject: more: vpn from behind firewall
>
> It has been suggested that my description was vague, so I hope this will
> clarify.
>

> ______       _________                ________
> |my    |     | firewall|              |my home |
> |laptop|-----| on ski  |------WWW-----|firewall|--- Home Network
> |______|     |__hill___|              |________|
>
> I am on vacation and am attempting to send and recieve email.  Now, I can
> get my email, but am having trouble sending.  I want to put my laptop onto
> my lan via vpn so that I can send eamil from my home account.  Also, I want
> to have access to my computers behind the firewall.  I have been given a
> 192.168.1.x ip, so I am behind a nat or proxy, not sure.  Is there a way
> that I can set up a vpn from where I am?  Or, can I use my firewall as a
> proxy?  Can I set up a ssh tunnel to my firewall and then foward that port
> on my firewall to the appropriate mail/news servers?

I'm not sure if you mean your laptop address is 192.168.1.x, or if
that's the address of your home system.

Anyway, if you can find out the IP number of your home network, AND
your home firewall has been configured to accept SSH connections or
pass them on to a system inside your network, then the following
should get you on the right track:

Since you can get email already (probably via POP3), we will ignore it
for now, although we'll come back to it later.

To send mail, you need to be able to make an SMTP (port 25) connection
to your ISP's mail host (or your home network's host if it runs one).
This is the host that your email program uses for "SMTP host" or as
the outgoing mail server, or whatever they call it.  Let's assume
that your home network address is 116-customer-dsl.example.net (or
you could use the IP number).  And, let's assume that your ISP's mail
host is called smtp.example.net.  Then, using SSH, do something like

ssh -L 25:smtp.example.net:25 116-customer-dsl.example.net

on your laptop, and set your email program to use 127.0.0.1 as
its SMTP host.  This sets up an encrypted connection from your
laptop to 116-customer-dsl.example.net and then uses it to
forward any connections to port 25 on your laptop to smtp.example.net
(although data moving between your home system and the smtp host
will not be encrypted).

You can do the same thing with port 110 (the POP3 port) and use
it to read your mail so that your password and mail will be
encrypted if someone is snooping on the local network where you
happen to have your laptop connected.

If you don't have access to your home network, ANY host that you
can SSH into AND which is allowed to send mail via your ISP's
SMTP host will work (e.g. a friend's system).  Obviously, all
of this is much easier to set up and test if you have someone
sitting at your home system to figure out what IP number you
need to use, and making sure the firewall is configured to allow
this.  If you are already on vacation, you may have to stick with
using Hotmail to send your email, until you can get back home
and figure out the details of how your home network is set up.

Of course, there is a third, and probably easier solution: ask
the people who run the network on the ski hill what you should
use for your outgoing SMTP host.  You aren't the only person
with that problem, and they should have a local one set up for
you to use.  Just set your email program to use whatever they
tell you.

> Thanks,
>
> fybar

- Bob