Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 14:41:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Michael Rice <marice@email.msn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Basic Questions on Compatibility

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Michael Rice wrote:

> I am getting ready to purchase 2 systems from Gateway (400MHz desktop and
> 266MHz notebook).  I am considering using FreeBSD 2.2.6 as my Unix OS, but I
> need to know if it supports some of my other peripherals and if it supports
> some of my development requirements:
>
> Hardware Compatibility
> ----------------------
> 1. Does FreeBSD support any HP LaserJet models via parallel port.

A printer is a printer is a printer.  It depends if your applications know
how to print to it.

> 2. Does FreeBSD support HP JetDirect (i.e., DLC protocol)?

Not DLC, but most JetDirect cards support lpd-style job submission.

> 2. What SCSI adapter can I use with FreeBSD (I'm considering an Adaptec
> 2940UW)?

That works.

> 3. What do you recommend for a SCSI tape drive (DDS3 compatible with
> hardware compression and 6+ GB capacity)

HP DAT24.

> 4. Can FreeBSD handle a 5GB Ultra ATA hard disk?  What is the largest EIDE
> disk I can use?

With 2.2.6, up to 8GB; you'll have to go to -STABLE to get anything
bigger.

> 5. Can I use FreeBSD with a DVD II CD?

DVD drives are not currently supported.

> 6. Can I use a 56K X2 modem with FreeBSD?

I'd suggest an external -- our sio probe has gotten very picky of late.

> Development Environment
> -----------------------
> 1. Does FreeBSD support all of the System V R4 IPC system services (shared
> mem, msg queue, etc.)?

I think so.

> 2. Does FreeBSD support Posix system services and threads?

pthreads are in there, but are only at draft 10 -ish (and maybe draft4 for
2.2.x)

> 3. Are the following languages supported: C, C++, FORTRAN, Ada, Pascal?

C - yes; C++ - yes, mostly; FORTRAN - I think so; Ada - yes (?); Pascal -
through a Pascal to C compiler.

> 4. Is the Walnut Creek distribution the best place to get FreeBSD on CD?

Absolutely.