Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:57:28 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Uldis Kuplis <uldisk@kb.lkb.bkc.lv>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: undelete

> User, who was admin, and had wheel group,
> deleted /bin;  /etc;  /var directories from my FreeBSD 3.1.

Don't let users, especially users like this, do that.  That's the
first lesson to be learned here. :)

> Can I undelete these directories?
> If it possible, then how to do it?

No, you should simply reinstall them from a FreeBSD bin distribution
(it's just a split, gzip'd tar file and you should be able to figure
out how to extract parts of it by reading the tar man page).
Directories and files which have been deleted in FreeBSD don't go to a
trashcan, they go to the great bit-haven in the sky immediately and
there's really no way to bring them back unless you're a Unix
filesystem internals whiz and can use fsdb blindfolded.  That's
definitely not a practical solution in this case and so you'll have to
simply restore them.

- Jordan