Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:24:31 -0800
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S." <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Enhance to the packaging system ?

Hi,
The Science University of Tokyo (aixport.sut.ac.jp) ported pkg_add,
pkg_info, and pkg_delete; they use them for the AIX software they
distribute.
One thing I noticed, when upgrading sendmail, is that the original
software and config files are backed up with an *.ORIG extension. AFAIK
FreeBSD simply overwrites everything; could we adopt this also? When
sendmail didn't work I found the the .ORIGs very useful(I didn't try it,
but I think pkg_delete restores everything).

Pedro.