Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:17:12 -0500
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus A7V & Promise ATA/100 Controller

Dennis Ostrovsky wrote:
> Any idea when this hardware will be supported? I tried installing
> 4.1, but it couldn't detect the hard drive since it was plugged into
> the ata/100 slot.

I submitted patches, see

My system now boots fine using DMA5 from that slot. To get there (not
for the faint of heart):

	- Install using the 'normal' IDE controller
	- Apply above patches, rebuild, install and test kernel
	- Add devices to /dev, at the very least:

		cd /dev
		sh MAKEDEV ad4
		sh MAKEDEV ad4s1

	- Change /etc/fstab, replace all ad0 with ad4
	- Shut down, plug the drive into the ATA/100 controller
	- Et voila...

However it is easy to shut yourself out of the system, so don't ask
me for support if something goes wrong, you have been warned!

Gerd