Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 23:21:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 1999, John Birrell wrote:
>
> > Why build a kernel at all? The generic kernel should do that application
> > just fine. Only build a custom kernel if you have a good reason to do
> > so.
> >

> I somewhat agree.  A custom kernel is useful for setting up and tuning
> parameters (e.g. softupdates); however, unlike Linux, we don't have a new
> kernel every week to reconfigure.

You guys should be aware that work is going on to change, in a rather
major way, not just the config file, not just the configuration method,
but the entire way that devices are detected and drivers added.  There
will be entirely new levels of control available.  Thats the reason that
no one involved with current is willing to do anything to help the
present system ... compared to what's coming down the pike, the existing
one is truly badly broken, and beyond any simple fix.

Be patient, guys, *great* things are in store, probably in the next 6
months.  Some is visible today (much, actually, has gone in, the last 2
months).  Of this, most is invisible necessary infrastructure, so don't
go looking for visible effects yet, excepting the new boot system.

Mike is one of the guy architecting this, so that's the reason he's not
willing to help you guys on what you're talking about.  It would only be
enshrining a broken system.

We need to have some stuff from current summarized somewhere.  Then, you
guys wouldn't get caught so completely unaware of things.

> -----
> Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
> System/Network Administrator         |  claimed they were one, and always
> Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).