Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 19:37:01 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: success!!

Hi,
> Steve Passe wrote...
>
> > > Also, I ran mptable tonight, with all the
> > >cards installed, and noticed that NINTR=15 had changed to NINTR=17.
> 	I changed my kernel config to have NINTR=15 instead of 17, and the
> kernel hangs.  I didn't see the panic message, though.
>
> > I may have gotten "too clever" by counting INT sources with mptable.  If
> > NINTR is undefined the kernel source defaults to 24, which works fine with
> > all IO APICs, just wastes a little space.
>
> 	If it doesn't waste too much space, it might not be a bad idea to
> just tell people to use 24, or make it clear that NINTR depends on how many
> cards you have in your system.

clearly we cannot have a kernel fail just because a card was added (this ain't
no stinkin' nt box!), so yes I agree.  If you were to put several quad
netcards into a MB you could exceed even 24 INT entries (not INTs, we're
talking
about indexes into an array of data here, so shared INTs could push the total
beyond the 24 discrete INT vectors of the APIC).

So we also need to find out why
we don't see the panic() occur.  (I've sent test patches to Ken in
another mailing, hopefully they will tell the tale...).

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD