Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 02:53:05 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-new-bus@freebsd.org
Cc:        crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   when is dinfo instantiated?

I am writing resource reservation and allocation code for PCI buses.

What I am currently doing is hooking into pci_attach() in sys/pci/pci.c
(new function by my creation).  It gets the softc for this instance of the
pci bus (again, my modification).  In this softc it stores a resource list
of all of the resources that are allocated to the bridge.  This currently
is membase, memlimit, iobase, iolimit, secondary bus, and subordinate
bus.  Then as each child on the bus is probed its resource allocations
are marked 'in use' in the parent's softc, any children with invalid, or
unallocated resources may then be filled in dynamically.

The problem that I am having is that 'device_get_ivars(dev);' in the
'pci_attach()' function is returning NULL.  Going through the code it
appears that pci_new_probe() should take care of this.  That is, the
parent of the current bus (and all buses have parents, right?) should set
that structure correctly?  Apparently not.  What am I missing?

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Acting Lab Director                       | NYSLP: FREEBSD