Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 18:20:40 -0800
From:      Erick Mechler <emechler@techometer.net>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing kernsecurelevel

You can't change the securelevel to anything lower without rebooting
the machine, but you can raise it.  If you could lower it using some
userland command, it won't really be that secure, no?

From the securelevel manpage:

     The kernel runs with four different levels of security.  Any super-user
     process can raise the security level, but no process can lower it.

The securelevel definitions are also on the same manpage.

Regards,
Erick